The White House is the oldest government building in Washington DC.It is the home of the President of the United States. Every President since John Adams has lived in this great house.When the John Adams moved into White House is was cold, damp and was not completely.Mrs. Adams would ofter hang her laundry in the East room.
Each President add something new to the house. Harry Truman added a balcony and had the the house gutted . At the time Truman lived in the White House the house was in bad condition. A piano fell through on of the upper. President Truman left the White House and moved to the Blair house for a few years
The White house has 132 rooms, 16 guest bedrooms 35 bathrooms 28 fireplaces 8 staircases and 3 elevators. There are five full time chefs who can serve as many140 guests for dinner. The 50 seat movie theater can show the latest movie. The President and family live on the second and third in the residence.
- President Jefferson was the first president to start his term as president living in the White House
- The cornerstone of the White house was laid October 13, 1792
- The zip code for the White House is 20500
- Painters covered the walls with a whitewash to keep water and ice from seeping inside the walls and breaking them apart
- The construction of the White House started in 1792.
- President Adams moved into the White House November 16, 1800
- The total cost of building was $232,372
- More than 200 people take care of the first family and the Whit House
- William Howard Taft was the first President to occupy the Oval Office
- When the White House was completed, it was the largest house in the United States